Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship Program
Sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, the Thomas R. Pickering Fellowship is intended to prepare college students for careers in the Foreign Service. The Fellowship funds one year of college and the first year of graduate school, for tuition and living-related expenses up to $37,500 per year. Participating schools provide financial aid for the second year of graduate study, based on need.
National Deadline: Friday, January 12, 2018
Fellows must commit to pursuing a graduate degree relating to international studies at an approved institution. Fellows are required to participate in two summer internships with the US State Department, one of which will be overseas. Stipends are provided for the internships. Fellows are also under a contractual obligation to serve for a minimum of three years as Foreign Service Officers in the US State Department. To learn about the Foreign Service, read the careers section of the Department of State Web site: http://careers.state.gov/
- Third-year students with at least a 3.2 cumulative GPA
- Be a US citizen at time of application
- Planning to enroll in a two-year, full-time master’s degree program in an academic field relevant to the work of the Foreign Service. The Fellowship does not fund law or joint law degree programs, and only U.S. institutions based in the U.S. are eligible.
- Applicants must be available to fulfill the summer internship obligations (summer 2016 & 2017)
Fourth-year students may be interested in the Graduate Foreign Affairs Fellowship, also sponsored by the Department of State.
A complete Thomas R. Pickering Foreign Affairs Fellowship application consists of these required components:
- A submitted online application.
- Supplementary materials (submitted as .pdf files)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation emailed from the recommender by the program’s deadline.
For complete information on the required materials and submission methods, visit http://woodrow.org/fellowships/pickering/info/pickering-application-info/.