Steppenwolf Multicultural Fellowship
The Fellowship is a professional development program for early-career people of color interested in working in theatre. Fellows will hold an apprenticeship in their department of interest while being given additional paid professional development opportunities both in and out of Steppenwolf Theatre. Fellows should be individuals with clear professional goals and an interest in the continued development of the American theatre. Through hands-on experience, independent and collective learning projects, mentorship, and career-guidance, Fellows are given the tools to become insightful new voices in the field.
Fellows participate in the Apprenticeship program as well as the Fellowship. The Fellowship is available in the following departments: Artistic, Development/Fundraising, Video Production, Education/Steppenwolf for Young Adults, Marketing, Literary, Production Management, Publicity, Theater Management, Lighting, Scenic Carpentry, Sound, Costume Shop, Properties, Publicity, Scenic Art, Stage Management, and Wardrobe.
The 2018/2019 apprenticeships and fellowships will run from August 27, 2018 through May 31, 2019. The internships will run from May 29, 2018 through August 24, 2018. In special circumstances, these dates can be slightly flexible depending on the needs of the candidate and hiring department.
During their tenure, Fellows receive:
- A generous monthly housing and transportation stipend for those facing financial hardship. Fellows will be paid minimum wage for 28 or 40 hours/week depending on the department during 9 months (September-May).
- Professional development and networking opportunities, discount and free tickets to area theatres, exceptional mentor relationships at Steppenwolf and beyond.
Multicultural Fellowship Deadline: Sunday, March 18, 2018
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Identify as a person of color
- Have earned a baccalaureate, or have equivalent professional experience
- Reside in, or be able to relocate to, Chicago
- Have a strong desire to work in their selected department
- Carefully read through the instructions and submit a thoughtfully completed application
To learn more about the application process and apply, click here.