National Federation of the Blind Scholarship Program
The National Federation of the Blind (NFB) improves blind people's lives through advocacy, education, research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and self-confidence. It is the leading force in the blindness field today and the voice of the nation's blind. In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in the United States for the blind led by the blind.
National Deadline: Saturday, March 31, 2018
In addition to a scholarship, each winner will receive assistance to attend the 2018 National Federation of the Blind Annual Convention which will take place the first week of July 2018, in Orlando, Florida, providing an excellent opportunity for high-level networking with active blind persons in many different professions and occupations.
Scholarship recipients must participate in the entire NFB national convention and in all of its scheduled scholarship program activities.
- Must be legally blind (PDF document) in both eyes, and
- Must be residing in the United States, the District of Columbia, or Puerto Rico, and
- Must be pursuing or planning to pursue a full-time, postsecondary course of study in a degree program at a United States institution in the 2017 scholastic year, except that one scholarship may be given to a person employed full-time while attending school part-time.
For information about the scholarship, NFB, previous winners, and how to apply, refer to the following materials:
- Confirmation of Legal Blindness (PDF document). Are you eligible?
- Submissions Checklist. This webpage lists the requirements for a complete application. Documents must be submitted online or postmarked by March 31, 2018. Complete applications tend to have a real advantage in the competition. The NFB Scholarship Committee takes no responsibility for notifying you if required information is missing from your application.
- Frequently Asked Questions (Scholarships FAQ). Answers include useful advice for any applicant.
- 2018 Scholarship Application Form, online edition: will be available 11-1-2017 through 3-31-2018.
- 2018 Scholarship Application Form, print edition: will be available upon request 11-1-2017 through 3-31-2018.
- "Self-Advocacy in Higher Education" by Mark Riccobono
- http://nabslink.org/content/scholarship-spotlight-part-1-meet-some-our-2016-scholarship-class from the NFB's National Association of Blind Students; meet some of the NFB's 2016 scholarship class.
- 2018 NFB Scholarship Program Flyer
- List of NFB Scholarships