The Churchill Scholarship covers all University of Cambridge and Churchill College tuition and fees. In addition, students receive a living allowance, travel and research allowances and payment to cover visa fees.
Students considering the 'Math Tripos' (or 'Part III' Maths program at Cambridge) should read the guide to the course provide by the Churchill Foundation. Please note, this is not a gateway or prep-degree program for a PhD in another field. It is the number-one ranked Maths program in the world and exceptionally rigorous. Students should carefully consider whether it is the best program fit for their ambitions.
2017 University Endorsement Deadline: Monday, October 16, 2017
Deadline for University of Cambridge Admission deadline; double check in late summer each year: Wednesday, October 11, 2017
Churchill Foundation National Deadline (only if you are nominated): Tuesday, November 7, 2017
To be eligible for the College's on-campus competition, students must have, at minimum, a GPA of 3.70. The average GPA for UChicago Churchill Scholars is 3.8.
Applicants for a Churchill Scholarship must be citizens of the United States and must be a senior who is enrolled in one of the institutions participating in the Scholarship Program competition or a student who has recently graduated from one of those institutions. Upon taking up a scholarship, a Churchill Scholar must be between the ages of 19 and 26, hold a bachelor's degree or its equivalent, and may not have attained a doctorate.
The University of Chicago may nominate two (2) students for this award. The selection criteria include
- Exceptional academic talent and outstanding achievement
- A capacity to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in the sciences, engineering or mathematics by pursuing original, creative work at an advanced level as demonstrated by awards, prizes, research, and letters of recommendation
- Outstanding personal qualities, including, but not limited to, notable achievements in areas outside of academic pursuits, including music, athletics, and community service.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You must apply to the University of Cambridge by their stated admission deadline. This is often earlier than the deadline below. You are responsible for your Cambridge application.
The Churchill Scholarship requires a GRE score and you must designate Churchill College as your college of choice in your Cambridge application.
The internal campus application consists of the following and must be submitted by October 16, 2017:
- Four academic recommendations (emailed directly to Nichole Fazio at email@example.com)
- An up-to-date curriculum vita (academic resume) with focus on undergraduate research activities, honors/awards. 2-pages
- An essay describing the proposed program of study and the name/s of faculty with whom you hope to work (no more than 1 page)
- A personal statement (no more than 2 pages)
- Unofficial transcript
For complete guidance on how to complete these application materials, consult the Churchill Foundation website.