Atlas Corps English Teaching Fellowship
The Atlas Corps English Teaching Fellowship (ETF) is an English teaching opportunity in Colombia for emerging professionals. This opportunity is a new collaboration between Atlas Corps, Heart for Change, Volunteers Colombia, the Ministry of Education and Servicio Nacional de Aprendizaje (SENA) to facilitate the development of a prosperous Colombia where children and youth have the opportunity to receive a high-quality bilingual education. It is Colombia’s largest bilingual program. In its first year, 350 Fellows taught alongside 1,050 Colombian teachers, strengthening English education for nearly 98,000 public high school students in 33 cities.
Fellows learn leadership skills in an international context while inspiring English language skills in Colombian youth. Benefits of this prestigious fellowship program include a living stipend, health insurance, teacher training, ongoing professional development, and engagement in the global Atlas Corps network of over 400 leaders from 75 countries.
Candidates have the chance to participate in 1 of 2 programs:
- The Ministry of Education (MEN), which serves primary and secondary schools in underserved communities throughout Colombia.
- El Servicio Nacional de Aprendizaje (SENA), which focuses on vocational training for college graduates and young adults.
- Teach and/or co-teach with a local Colombia English instructor 25 hours per week of English instruction, including teaching, co-teaching, and conversation clubs
- Participate in a two-way learning process in about 15 hours per week to improve English proficiency, which may include administrative-related activities, such as lesson planning, meetings with fellow teachers, paperwork, etc.
- Attend local partners training days, schedule will coordinate with placement site.
- Develop reports and follow up processes, as the supervisor requires.
- Before arrival candidates must pay a $400 USD deposit, which will be returned to them upon successful completion of their contract.
- Applicants must pay for their own travel to and from Colombia.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- English language skills, as native language proficiency or equivalent
- Spanish language skills, at basic level or higher
- Interest in serving in an educational environment
- Age range between 21 to 50
1. Online Application: All applications need to be submitted online. The application consists of background information and a personal biography.
2. Review Process: Applications will be reviewed by the Selection Board—a trained group of professionals that includes representatives from Atlas Corps, Volunteers Colombia and Heart for Change. Atlas Corps and our partners in Colombia will both conduct Skype Interviews.
3. Visa Process: After being selected, candidates will receive information about how to apply for a TP-1 visa online. Volunteers Colombia and Heart for Change will provide support in obtaining this visa.
- Participants will work at facilities throughout Colombia. Placement cities include: Bogotá, Medellín, Armenia, Manizales, Pereira, Ibagué, Cali, Cartagena, Barranquilla, Santa Marta, Villavicencio, Valledupar, Bucaramanga, Buga, Pasto, Popayán, Villa de Leyva, Neiva, Palmira, Itagui, Caldas and a number of small towns.
- Applicants will learn more about specific cities during the application process.