Yenching Academy Scholars Program
The Yenching Academy of Peking University will soon accept its inaugural cohort of Yenching Scholars. The program offers a one-year master’s degree (in English) designed to prepare an elite class of future leaders to meet the challenges of the 21st century global landscape. Yenching Scholars receive a full tuition scholarship, accommodation in the residential college, and a stipend to cover living expenses.
Applicants will choose from one of six concentrations:
- Literature and Culture
- History and Archaeology
- Philosophy and Religion
- Public Policy and International Relations
- Economics and Management
Yenching Scholars are also deeply immersed into Chinese culture through cultural excursions throughout various parts of China and an intensive Chinese language program taken along within their degree studies. Participants will also have opportunities for internships and intensive field studies.
Campus Deadline: Thursday, November 10, 2016
Final Submission Deadline if a campus nominee: Saturday, December 10, 2016
Applications are open now for candidates who will hold a Bachelor’s degree and be 25 years of age or younger in 2015. Applicants may be of any nationality: of the inaugural class cohort of 100 students, approximately 65% from outside China, and 35% from China.
Yenching Academy Scholars will exhibit the following qualities and characteristics:
- Outstanding academic record
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Active in extracurricular activities
- Active community engagement and a strong sense of social responsibility
- Strong moral character
- Demonstrated interest in exploring diverse cultures, in particular about China and the Asia Pacific region
- Demonstrated English Proficiency
Application Process: Students must be nominated by the University of Chicago
1) Campus Application Process (UChicago is a partner university): Campus Endorsement Deadline: November 10, 2016
A campus nomination application consists of the following:
- Formal Application forms (you must request these from Nichole Fazio-Veigel, firstname.lastname@example.org). You will submit the applicant form with your campus application. Your letters writers must complete their forms and send with their letters of recommendation.
- An official transcript
- Two academic letters of recommendation – submitted directly to Nichole Fazio-Veigel by email: email@example.com. These letters should come from faculty - teaching or research. If you have been working after graduation, it may be appropriate to include one letter from a professional supervisor. Please do not request letters from academic advisors, career advancement advisors, or graduate students. If you request letters from internship coordinators, please be selective. They should know you very well.
- A 750-word personal statement (essay)
- A complete CV (Academic resume) detailing activities from your freshman year forward. Please do not include high-school activities.
2) If selected as a University of Chicago nominee, all final materials including a formal application to the Academy must be submitted to Nichole Fazio-Veigel by December 10, 2016.
You are strongly encouraged to make an appointment to speak with Nichole Fazio-Veigel about your interest in Yenching and further guidance on applying for institutional nomination.
For full information as to the program, visit http://yenchingacademy.org/.