DAAD Undergraduate Scholarship
The DAAD Undergraduate Scholarship supports semester and year long study abroad experiences in Germany. These include:
- participation in a study abroad program
- individualized study
- senior thesis research
- financial support for an internship
Competence in German is not mandatory, although language aquisition/improvement should be a part of any proposal. In addition, applicants must demonstrate an interest in contemporary German and European affairs and be able to explain the significance of their proposed activity in regard to future study, research or professional goals.
Deadline: Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Second- and third-year students under age 32 who are US or Canadian citizens or permanent residents, are eligible to apply.
Foreign nationals are eligible if they have been full-time students at an accredited US or Canadian university for more than one year at the time of application and will return to the US or Canada after the scholarship period to complete the bachelor's degree.
In addition, applicants must be able to receive academic credit for the proposed activity in Germany. (Speak to your College Adviser if you have questions.)
Students interested in research, study or travel in Germany should consult with the Department of Germanic Studies. (http://humanities.uchicago.edu/depts/german/ugradprog.html)
Even though German language competency is not mandatory, applicants must submit the DAAD language evaluation form with their application.
Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal include:
- Online application form for funding program
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement about academic and personal reasons for the planned study project in Germany
- Statement for Support and Credit Eligibility
- Proof of acceptance into Study Abroad Program, Exchange Program, letter by mentor or invitation from a German university
- College transcripts
- Language Evaluation Form
Application materials to be submitted by mail include the following:
- Two reference forms (your referees must also send a scan of the signed form/letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org)